Beginner Hang Gliding Lesson
$99 - $109
$99 Demo Lesson: 3 Flights
$109 Beginner Lesson: 5 Flights
- Book ONLINE for Sun, Mon or Tues
- $4 Off Adult Rate
- GoPro Video Footage:
- DVD / USB Video = $49 (plus tax)
- Additional Copies = $15 (plus tax)
- Other Packages Available:
- Full Day Dune Package = $239
- Taste of Flight Package = $239
- Hang 1 Training Package = $699
The Beginner & Demo Dune Lessons include "Ground School" ($39 cost included in lesson) in the total 3 hour duration.
Call 1-877-359-8447 to Reserve over the phone.
Gift Certificates Available
- Hang Gliding is the perfect gift for ANY OCCASION!
Dune Hang Gliding lessons are conducted at our training facility in Jockey’s Ridge State Park located at Mile Post 12 in Nags Head, NC. The dunes of Jockey’s Ridge provide the perfect platform for learning to hang glide. They have plenty of height for beginners, and are soft for landing. Through special arrangement with the State Park Service, we are allowed to conduct hang gliding lessons from these dunes. We have been providing lessons at this site for over 25 years.
A typical Beginner Dune Hang Gliding Lesson is 3 hours long and starts with check-in (30 minutes prior to class time). Each class has no more than 5 students per instructor. You then have about 1 hour of ground school including a training video.
After ground school, your class proceeds to the dunes via a scenic walkway. It’s about a 200 yard walk to the base of the dunes. Once you have climbed to the the top of the dunes (the instructor carries the glider) you begin your solo hang gliding flights. The instructor is there to help. He/she will help you get into the harness, provide any last minute instructions, and help you launch.
You will run into the wind, and depending on the wind conditions (and your weight and skill), you can travel anywhere from 30 to 100+ yards at 5 to 15 feet above the sand. Each trip down the dune is termed a “flight.” The standard beginner lesson includes 5 flights. You might not land on your feet your first or even your second attempt.
ASK ABOUT OUR GOPRO FILM AND PHOTO PACKAGE!
Kitty Hawk Kites offers GoPro footage of your lesson so that you
can relive this memory for years to come. We film each flight you take above the dunes of Jockey’s Ridge State Park. Within 48 hours of your lesson we will email you all of your flight footage plus at least 20 to 30 fully edited digital photos of your soaring experience. The footage and digital photos are social media ready so you can easily share with friends and family!
What to Bring
What we Recommend You Bring to Your Dune Hang Gliding Lesson
- Water – Bring a lot more than you think you’ll need. When on the dunes, bury it in the sand to keep it cold.
- Sunscreen – If you apply it before the lesson, remember to bring it out on the hill!
- Eye protection – Even on an overcast day it is still very bright on the dunes.
- Comfortable Clothing – You’ll be running for a short distance, so stay comfy.
- Proper Footwear – Walking on the sand barefoot is easiest, but sometimes it can get hot. Either wear sneakers, a pair of socks (or two), or if it’s not too hot, wear flip flips and kick them off as needed.
- Camera – You WILL want pictures! Bring a plastic bag to protect it (and other valuables).
- Other tips & recommendations:
- It’s a good idea to dress in layers. You can always peel them off! During the spring & fall it can get chilly out on the dunes–especially when the wind is blowing hard. There’s always more wind on the dunes than in the parking lot.
- Bring a light snack (unless your diet consists of sand) and a blanket to sit on.
- Bring something to hold your valuables. Sand can ruin electronics fairly easily–and sometimes rain showers pop up unexpectedly.