Taste of Flight Package
starting at $239
It is generally recommended to complete this package over the course of two days. The two activities are located at 2 separate locations approximately 45 minutes apart. It is possible to complete the package in a single day - to do this you will need to schedule your tandem flight in the early morning and then your dune lesson in the afternoon.
Tandem Flights are offered April - September
To Make A Reservation
Introduction to Flight
Experience one beginner dune lesson at our Jockey’s Ridge location and one tandem aero-tow hang gliding lesson to 2000 feet at one of our parks.
Dune Hang Gliding on Jockey’s Ridge
Your dream of flight can be realized with the professional instructors at Kitty Hawk Kites. Learn to fly on the soft sand and gentle slopes of Jockey’s Ridge over looking both the sound and the ocean. Accompanied by the steady breezes of North Carolina’s Outer Banks, there is no better place to hang glide – that’s why the Wright Brothers chose it, of course!
Tandem Hang Gliding at 2000 Feet
Imagine yourself ready to fly. Feel the breeze on your face. The instructor will encourage you to relax and place your hands on the handles at his waist. You feel the ultralight plane take off and the glider makes it’s way to the sky. On this adventure you will get a bird’s eye view of our coastline above the Currituck Sound. This is the ultimate bucket list adventure.
- Fundamentals and Fun with 5 solo flights on Jockey’s Ridge.
- Training Film and Ground School.
- Flight Log and Certificate of Completion of Beginner’s Lesson.
- Equipment for Ground Lessons
- Equipment for Aero-Tow Lesson
- 2000 ft. Aero-Tow Flight
You may use the links below to book dates. Keep in mind that Tandem Flights are only offered April – September. The online booking process will ask you to schedule your Dune Lesson first and then your 2000′ Tandem flight. The two activities are ~45-60 min apart depending on traffic so be sure to plan enough time in between bookings to get from one place to another. We recommend trying the Beginner Dune Lesson on Day 1 and your Tandem flight on Day 2 if you can. If you must do both in one day, you will likely have to do the Tandem Flight in the morning (9:00 or 10:00 AM) and then the Dune Lesson in the afternoon.
COTTON GIN approximately 30 min from Kitty Hawk
What to Bring
What we Recommend You Bring to Your Dune Gliding Lesson
- Water Bring a lot more than you think you’ll need. When on the dunes, bury it in the sand to keep it cold.
- Sunscreen If you apply it before the lesson, remember to bring it out on the hill!
- Eye protection Even on an overcast day it is still very bright on the dunes.
- Comfortable Clothing You’ll be running for a short distance, so stay comfy.
- Proper Footwear Walking on the sand barefoot is easiest, but sometimes it can get hot. Either wear sneakers, a pair of socks (or two), or if it’s not too hot, wear flip flips and kick them off as needed.
- Camera You WILL want pictures! Bring a plastic bag to protect it (and other valuables).
- Other tips & recommendations:
- It’s a good idea to dress in layers. You can always peel them off! During the Spring & Fall it can get chilly out on the dunes–especially when the wind is blowing hard. There’s always more wind on the dunes than in the parking lot.
- Bring a light snack (unless your diet consists of sand) and a blanket to sit on.
- Bring something to hold your valuables. Sand can ruin electronics fairly easily–and sometimes rain showers pop up unexpectedly.
What we Recommend You Bring to Your Tandem Gliding Lesson
- Water It’s always a good idea to bring water to any of our outdoor activities.
- Sunscreen Even on overcast days, it is good to bring sunscreen and apply it before the flight.
- Eye protection Protection from the sun as well as the wind is suggested. Bring a pair of sunglasses to protect your eyes on the flight.
- Comfortable Clothing You’ll want to be comfortable when you are in the harness. It can be chilly at altitude compared to the ground temperature, so bring layers.
- Proper Footwear Sneakers are recommended for tandem flights.
- Other tips & recommendations:
- It’s a good idea to dress in layers. Often times the air at altitude is much cooler than the air temperature on the ground, so you may want to bring a light jacket in the Summer, or wear layers in the Spring and Fall.
Hang Gliding Activities
Hang Gliding at Jockey’s Ridge State Park in Nags Head is an Outer Banks must! Take a Beginner Lesson with us and learn how to fly a Hang Glider on your first lesson. Each lesson is about 3 hours long and includes Ground School and 5 solo training flights. Reserve your spot today!
$99 - $109
Kitty Hawk Kites operates the largest hang gliding school in the world located in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Whether you decide to try a Dune Hang Gliding Lesson or a Tandem lesson to 2000′, hang gliding with Kitty Hawk Kites is an experience you will never forget! Individual Options: Demo Hang Gliding Lesson…
Lessons & Packages
Dune Hang Gliding lessons are conducted at our training facility in Jockey’s Ridge State Park located at Mile Post 12 in Nags Head, NC. The dunes of Jockey’s Ridge provide the perfect platform for learning to hang glide. They have plenty of height for beginners, and are soft for landing. Through special arrangement with the…
Start a Hang Gliding Club, Become a Pilot HALF OFF! If you’ve been trying to get a club together, we are here to help! We know it’s not easy to get the ball rolling; budgets are tight, and the logistics can be daunting. Problems solved! We cut our prices in half and have housing available!…
Introduction to Flight Experience one beginner dune lesson at our Jockey’s Ridge location and one tandem aero-tow hang gliding lesson to 2000 feet at one of our parks. Dune Hang Gliding on Jockey’s Ridge Your dream of flight can be realized with the professional instructors at Kitty Hawk Kites. Learn to fly on the soft…
starting at $239
The tandem hang gliding lesson is perfect for thrill seekers who want to get an overall perspective of hang gliding with a bird’s eye view of the coast line above Currituck sound on the Outer Banks. No experience necessary and this sky high hang gliding lesson is handicapped accessible.
This is the ultimate tandem hang gliding tow, 5280 feet! The tandem lesson is the most state-of-the-art training available, and perfect for students who want to get an overall perspective of hang gliding