We want our students to be competent and confident in the water before beginning their mermaid transition! We have a swimming skills guideline that students are required to pass at the beginning of class prior to wearing a tail.
Please be sure to review these guidelines and ensure that the person you sign up for the mermaid swimming class will be able to complete this skills test. This is a non-refundable $15 portion of the mermaid swimming lesson.
- Back float for 30 seconds: it is important to be relaxed and feel at ease in the water
- Roll from front float to back float: must be able to turn over, remain in control and be comfortable in water
- Swim a 25 yards and breathe unassisted: must demonstrate basic swimming skills with no help from the pool sides
- Dolphin kick on front for 5 kicks: this is the basic movement for swimming with a tail and they must be competent in this skill before performing movement with tail
- Dolphin kick on back for 5 kicks
- Tread water for 1 minute: this demonstrates that student is comfortable in the water