outer banks KAYAK FISHING TOURNAMENT
All proceeds from this year’s tournament benefit the Outer Banks Community Foundation Disaster Relief Fund.
Follow the tournament day action on Facebook!
- Mandatory Captain’s Meeting*: 6:00 PM @ Kitty Hawk Surf Co in Nags Head, NC
- Tournament Day 1: 6:00 AM – 8:00 PM
- Tournament Day 2: 6:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- Awards Banquet: 5:00 PM @ Kitty Hawk Surf Co in Nags Head, NC
Need a place to stay during the tournament? Seaside Vacations is offering 10% off September Outer Banks vacation rentals.
This is a SLAM tournament with the following species: Red Drum, Flounder, Speckled Trout. The total length of your top three fish (one from each species) will go towards the SLAM leader-board. All fish must be caught from your watercraft. Wading is not permitted. A PFD must be worn while competing in this event. This is a photo catch and release style tournament. Competitors are permitted to launch STARTING at 6:00 AM on Saturday morning, September 14. Competitors that launch prior to 6:00 AM on either of the tournament dates will be disqualified. First day fishing and catch submissions will end at 8:00 PM on September 14. Second day launch and fishing will resume at 6:00 AM on September 15. NO catch submission will be accepted between 8:00 PM on September 14 and 6:00 AM on September 15. Catch submissions will be accepted until 4:00 PM on September 15. All competitors must check back in at the Kitty Hawk Surf Co (3933 S. Croatan Hwy Nags Head, NC 27959) no later than 5:00 PM on September 15 to be eligible for awards. Competitors can check in whenever they are finished fishing for the event. Even if you are only fishing the first day, you must physically check in no later than 5:00 PM on September 15.
Photo Catch Submission Rules:
- Catch submissions shall be accepted between 6:00 AM – 8:00 PM on September 14 and 6:00 AM – 4:00 PM on September 15. Catches submitted outside of this time frame will not be accepted.
- All submission pictures must show the fish length from a closed mouth upper lip to end of unpinched tail on an approved measuring board (either the yard stick provided or a pre-approved hawg trough). Measurement markings must be visible.
- All submissions must include the custom Kitty Hawk Surf Co. badge that will be distributed at the Captain’s Meeting.
- All submissions must include the anglers watercraft.
- If the angler is in the photo, they must be wearing a PFD.
- Photos must be taken in a straight line directly above the fish and not at an angle that may obscure the true measurement.
- Blurry photos, fish movement, open mouths, obscure photo angles, and covered measurement marks may result in a docking of your fish’s total length.
- Photos can be taken with a phone or digital camera.
- If possible, it is recommended to take several photos of each catch, submit your most visible photo that adheres to the rules above.
- Catch submissions must be uploaded to the tournament app, texted, emailed, or delivered via USB drive to the tournament director within the time frame detailed above or they will not be counted.
SLAM- 1st, 2nd, 3rd
Slam division is total length of three fish, one of each species (Flounder, Speckled Trout, Red Drum). Catching all three species is favored over length. For example, if an angler catches one Red Drum at 20” and no other species, they will be beat by an angler that catches a 5” trout, 5” flounder, and 5” drum. Even though the first anglers total length is 20” and the second anglers total length is 15”, the second angler wins because they caught all three species. You can only place in the slam once. No double-dipping. Fish submitted for the Slam cannot be submitted for the individual categories. Catch submissions will be automatically allocated by the director for the highest possible winnings.
Individual- (Flounder, Speckled Trout, Drum) 1st , 2nd , 3rd
Fish that do not qualify for placement in the slam division will be automatically distributed for placement in the individual divisions. You can only place once in each of the three individual divisions. If you place first in the Flounder division, you can still place in the Trout or Drum divisions but you cannot place second or third in the Flounder division.
The sea monster division goes to the angler that submits the most unique fish caught outside of the tournament species. The winner of this division is chosen by the tournament director. If you catch something interesting or different, submit it!
Fishing is allowed anywhere within the following boundaries: Wright Memorial Bridge in Kitty Hawk to the North; Hatteras Inlet to the South; Up to one (1) mile offshore to the East: as far West as the Currituck and Manns Harbor shorelines, including intercoastal waterways as far west as the Alligator River basi. Please reference the map below:
Competitors must attend the Captain’s Meeting on Friday Evening, September 13 at 6:00 PM at Kitty Hawk Surf Co (MP 12.5)
POST-EVENT COOKOUT & AWARDS:
The post-event cookout and awards ceremony on September 15 will begin at 5:00 PM at Kitty Hawk Surf Co. in Nags Head (MP 12.5).
Fun games, prize raffle, and good food!!!