want more than the beach? kitty hawk kites has you covered!
The majority of visitors to the Outer Banks typically book their week-long vacation in advance in anticipation of putting their tired feet in the sand while taking in the majestic views of the crystal clear Atlantic Ocean. But as it happens each year, around Wednesday, everyone is looking for something new to do.
Kitty Hawk Kites Adventure Center has over 30 activities that the entire family can enjoy. Below are a few suggestions for some of our most popular adventures. (Hint: Always a good idea to book early for optimal availability!)
Top 10 Things to Do on the Outer Banks
- Hang Gliding– What more of a perfect place to learn to Hang Glide than in the same place where Orville and Wilbur Wright came to fly the first airplane! The soft, pristine sand dunes at Jockey’s Ridge State Park are an ideal spot to take your first flight while also taking in the views of the ocean and the sound. This family friendly activity allows for children ages 4 and up to fly, and if someone in your party prefers, we also have a new trike option for launch in lieu of the foot launch.
- Kiteboarding– While several activities can surely have your heart pounding, Kiteboarding is a fun and exhilarating way to spend some time
- Parasailing– Multiple options are available for this fun excursion! Kitty Hawk Kites offers singles, doubles and triple parasailing flights. Beautiful views of the Outer Banks and flights depart seasonally from our convenient sites in Duck or Manteo.
- Vineyard Voyage– A scenic boat cruise across the Currituck Sound to the historic land owned by the Wright family in Jarvisburg to Sanctuary Vineyards. Take in several tastings of locally grown and bottled award winning wines from Sanctuary Vineyards and tour the property on your way back to the vessel for the ride back to Duck.
- Wild Horse Tour– Take an up-close and personal look at the majestic wild Spanish Mustangs in their natural habitat. Learn about their lives on the Outer Banks and the efforts to keep them here for years to come.
- Dolphin Tour– Experience the Outer Banks Dolphins as they swim and play off the coast. The tour is given on a certified Dolphin Research Vessel, so passengers are able to learn first hand from the highly skilled crew about these amazing creatures!
- OBX Party Bus– One of the new adventures available on the Outer Banks! Book your next reunion of friends, bachelorette or bachelor parties on this one-of-a-kind experience as you sample drink fare from some of the most popular watering holes on the OBX. Enjoy a live DJ, lights and plenty of fun and laughs as you travel to several destinations!
- Jet Ski Tours– Take a tour with our experienced guide through the marshes and waterways of the Outer Banks. Witness water foul and other creatures through your travels and learn more about the mainland of the famous Barrier Islands.
- Kayak Tours– Take an exciting tour through the famous Maritime Forest, Alligator River, or one of our other picturesque locations for a unique experience of wildlife from one our single or double kayaks. Truly a cherished memory with friends and family.
- Jetpak & Flyboard-For an adrenaline-pumping experience, consider strapping into the Jetpak or Flyboard for some fun over the water. Learn to do fun tricks and dive through the Sound in Manteo!
Kitty Hawk Kites has many additional options for Adventures on the Outer Banks and beyond. To learn more about all of the Adventures offered, click here.
Some other fun options while you visit the Outer Banks, or some possible stops on your way to the Adventures:
- OBX Lighthouse Tour
- Run up the dunes at Jockey’s Ridge State Park
- Buy OBX Merchandise
- Fly a Kite
- Take a walk down the Boardwalk in Duck
- Take a ferry ride to Ocracoke